Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wire Horse IV copyright 2010 by Dave Putnam


By using Jackson Pollock style splatter painting techniques I can try to paint a representional horse and it will still come out highly abstract, even if I really try to make it realistic. I deliberatley handicap myself by using only a broad spatula for smearing background colors across the canvas and then flinging narrow splats of paint from at least two feet away to make the horse itself. I then go back and clean up the horse's outline with more background colors from my big steel spatula and introduce a bit of splatter to the background to anchor the figure in its environment. Of course Jackson Pollock would never permit any figures from entering his purely abstract work. I too have resisted introducing figures for the last couple years. But now forces outside my control are demanding a return of the figure. I am tiptoeing into the post-modern world. The wire horse paintings you've seen here recently will be soon be shipped to our gallery in Santa Fe: akhadoure@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment