Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Mexico Chili Peppers 60'' by 72'' copyright 2010 by Dave Putnam


Martha and I go to New Mexico once or twice a year. Over the past 16 years I have never had the courage to eat the really hot chili peppers, but on our last visit I dug down deep and found a well of courage. Tapping this unexpected source of bravery, I ate a lunch rich in hot peppers. The memory of that lunch was permanently seared into my consciousness and as soon as I got back to California I got out a gigantic canvas and expressed myself. This painting is good for people whose doctors have ordered a bland diet but they yearn for something spicy. Looking at it while you eat will make the food seem spicier than it really is. Your stomach will enjoy the mild food but your brain will think its getting something hot. As I've said so many times, good abstract expressionist art can deliver practical everyday benefits beyond mere aesthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment