Friday, August 27, 2010

Tree of Hope copyright 2010 by Dave Putnam


Images of Moses talking to the burning bush and parting the Red Sea were swirling around inside my brain when I started this painting. I fight to keep religious imagery out of my paintings. Its not easy. Our house/gallery/studio was a Catholic church for 40 years before we converted it into a residence in the 90s. The church was never properly de-sanctified. I think there is a tooth from a saint buried under the spot where I paint, this relic was supposed to have been removed but somebody in the Catholic hierarchy was sleeping at the wheel. We may have been partly to blame because we put a big aggressive American Bulldog in this area before the de-sanctification process was complete. In any case, the tooth is often in conflict with me over the subject matter of my paintings. The tooth would be happy if I painted nothing but images of the Virgin Mary or other stuff from the Bible while I'm trying to create secular midcentury modernism. Sometimes I give in because the tooth scares me a little bit. But its not all bad, Moses was a very positive guy, filled with hope, so this painting fits in with the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment