Monday, September 13, 2010

Anne's Rainforest copyright 2010 by Dave Putnam


I was halfway through this painting when Anne's husband, my brother Marty, said in effect that I was doing a bad job of channeling Anne. I had been focusing on this "little Miss Sunshine" vision of Anne, which totally ignores the fact that she is one of those rare women with the ability to beat the crap out of 99% of all men. Probably only a few professional cage fighters could stand up to her. For instance, if I were to get in a fight with Anne she would beat me like a rented mule. Of course this meant my painting had to be scary and threatening, with a potential for violence without an active expression of violence, like a thunderstorm before lightning strikes. Anne could beat up almost anybody she meets, but almost always chooses not to. So I changed the painting and made it terrifying.
The downside to such honest and raw art is that probably nobody will have the courage to display this painting in their house. The mojo behind a woman beating up a man is too much for the average American male to stomach. But at least I was true to my craft and didn't sell out.

No comments:

Post a Comment